SRNT MISSION AND VALUES
The mission of the Society is to stimulate the generation of new knowledge concerning nicotine in all its manifestations - from molecular to societal. The Society has three main aims:
- To sponsor scientific meetings and publications fostering the exchange of information on nicotine and tobacco.
- To encourage scientific research on public health efforts for the prevention and treatment of tobacco use.
- To provide a means by which legislative, governmental, regulatory and other public agencies can obtain expert advice and consultation on nicotine and tobacco.
As a nonprofit, member-focused association, SRNT is mission-oriented and values-driven. The values that inform Board policy and organizational activities include:
- Commitment to the public good
- Accountability to the members and to the public
- Respect for the worth and dignity of individuals
- Inclusiveness and social justice
- Respect for pluralism and diversity
- Transparency, integrity, and honesty
- Responsible stewardship of resources
- Commitment to excellence and to maintaining the public trust
- Commitment to the promotion of excellence in science
- Commitment to use of the evidence base in all aspects of public policy, education and information
- Commitment to personal and professional honor
- Respect for all persons, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, abilities, age or national origin
- Commitment to serving the best interest of members and the profession at large