The Society for Research on Nicotine & Tobacco (SRNT) is the only professional association dedicated exclusively to the support of researchers, academics, treatment professionals, government employees, and the many others working across disciplines in the field of nicotine and tobacco research. With members in more that 40 countries, SRNT is truly global in its reach.
As a scientific society, SRNT’s mission is to stimulate the generation and dissemination of new knowledge concerning nicotine in all its manifestations. We accomplish our mission by presenting an annual scientific conference, where researchers at every career stage present their latest findings, and by providing an outlet for publication of cutting edge research through our scientific journal, Nicotine & Tobacco Research, which is published by the Oxford University Press.
SRNT supports the professional development of its members through participation in eight special interest groups, or Networks: Basic Science, Genetics, Global, Health Disparities, Policy, Trainees, Treatment, and Youth/Adolescent. Most Networks hold quarterly meetings, offer discipline-specific educational opportunities through webinars and pre-conference workshops, and foster the development of scientific papers and policy positions in their respective areas of focus.
SRNT is committed to nicotine and tobacco researchers around the world. In the United States, SRNT advances the field of nicotine and tobacco research by working with groups including the FDA’s Center for Tobacco Control and Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, the National Cancer Institute, and the National Institute on Drug Abuse. SRNT also has close relationships with the Truth Initiative, the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, the Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use Dependence, and the American Cancer Society. SRNT is a member of the Washington, DC-based PARTNERS Coalition and Friends of NIDA, both of which help SRNT and its members to comment on pending legislation and regulations impacting nicotine/tobacco use in the US. In 2009, SRNT was the lead organization on a Citizen’s Petition which asked the FDA to modify labeling requirements for over-the-counter nicotine replacement products.
SRNT has a European chapter, which presents its own scientific conference each year, and SRNT is a long-time supporter of the World Conference on Tobacco OR Health, as well as regional tobacco control and cessation conferences in Latin America, Asia and the Middle East. Also, SRNT has published a series of papers identifying the research gaps in Article 14 of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. SRNT is currently exploring the feasibility of an online certification program for tobacco control and cessation professionals in lower- and middle-income countries, and SRNT’s Facebook page and Twitter Feed will provide information to researchers and those interested in tobacco-related news, regardless of their geographic location.
Benefits of membership in SRNT include:
- significantly discounted registration fees for the Annual Meeting;
- complimentary online or hard copy subscription to Nicotine & Tobacco Research;
- ability to influence the future of the field of nicotine/tobacco research through participationin SRNT comments and the development of SRNT positions and policy statements;
- participation in one or more of SRNT’s topical networks;
- access to members-only webinars and networking opportunities throughout the year;
- eligibility for SRNT’s prestigious awards recognizing pioneers in the areas of pre-clinical research, clinical research, and public health/epidemiological research;
- opportunities to meet with global leaders in the field of nicotine and tobacco research through SRNT’s Annual Meeting, Networks and other special meetings;
- leadership opportunities within SRNT’s many Networks and committees, task forces and work groups, and the SRNT Board of Directors;
- participation in member-only listservs and SRNT’s new and improved Facebook page;
- access to discipline-specific resources, discussion boards and links in the members-only
- section of SRNT’s website (www.srnt.org); and
- access to colleagues and leaders in the field through SRNT’s members-only, online membership directory.
SRNT proudly offers a tiered membership dues structure based on the World Bank’s categorization of national economies, with dramatically reduced membership dues for researchers in lower- and middle-income countries.
With support from an engaged membership, SRNT is the voice of the basic and applied scientific communities in understanding and treating nicotine and tobacco dependence and advancing tobacco control with the ultimate goal of eradicating the global tobacco epidemic.